LDStorymakers Writers Conference Scholarships
Purpose of the Scholarship
Recognizing that many aspiring writers do not have the financial means to attend the conference, the Board of Directors authorized the creation of LDStorymakers Writers Conference Scholarships in April of 2012. We encourage our members to contribute to this scholarship fund so that we can assist as many struggling writers as possible to attend at least one conference with a subsidy. In this way we can bless many lives.
We are now accepting nominations and applicants for the 2016 conference. And we are always accepting donations.
While this is a needs based scholarship, it is not our intent to embarrass anyone by asking them to submit detailed financial information. Rather, each applicant will self-certify that without financial assistance it will be difficult, if not impossible, for them to attend. Their self-certification will be taken and accepted at face value.
To demonstrate that they are serious about a writing career, the applicant should also indicate why she/he wishes to attend the conference and what path they hope to take with their writing. This should be brief, but enough to demonstrate that the applicant will put the skills and tools they acquire at the conference to good purpose. It will be up to the Scholarship Committee to disqualify any application they judge as lacking merit.
A person may qualify for a scholarship just one time, unless unusual circumstances cause the committee to recommend a second scholarship. A second scholarship must be approved by the Board of Directors.
Applications must be turned in before November 20, 2016 for the 2017 LDStorymakers Conference in Provo, Utah. Scholarship resultes will be emailed before conference registration opens.
Nature of the Scholarships
We will sponsor three types of scholarships:
- Thursday Workshop scholarship: This scholarship will be awarded to an applicant who uses their own means to pay for the enrollment cost of at least one day of the Writer's Conference, but needs help paying the additional cost of one of the Workshops.
- Writers Conference scholarship: This scholarship pays for the full cost of a two-day conference enrollment package. This scholarship includes one Agent Pitch Session if desired.
- Full Enrollment: This scholarship pays the full fees for one qualified applicant to attend both the workshops and two-day Writers Conference. This scholarship includes one Agent Pitch Session and/or participation in the First Chapter Contest if desired.
Scholarships will only be awarded for the cost or registration, and do not include any travel or lodging expenses.
Number of Scholarships Awarded
Since the scholarships are funded by voluntary contributions from members and sponsors, we do not know from year-to-year how much money is available. A three-person Scholarship Committee will be formed as a subcommittee of the Board of Directors to supervise the distribution of scholarships. It will consist of three active members of the Storymakers BOD.
This sub-committee will:
- Supervise the posting and review of the scholarship applications on the LDStorymakers website.
- Collect and circulate among themselves the applications to screen out those who are not qualified.
- Accept applications throughout the year.
- Meet at least two weeks prior to the opening of General Registration for the Conference to determine how many scholarships can be funded. (This means that any contributions received after this point-in-time will most likely be reserved for the following year; stated another way, the contribution period is a full year, starting and ending two weeks prior to the opening of Conference Registration, unless the BOD sees need to extend the time period through the end of that calendar year.)
Once the number of scholarships in each category is known, the committee will then choose the qualifying applicants as follows:
- If there are enough scholarships available to meet the request of applicants then the committee will notify the applicants that they have been accepted and provide direction on how to register.
- If there are more applicants in a category than available scholarships, the scholarships will be awarded through a random lottery.
Stewardship of Scholarship Funds
All contributions to the fund will be made by PayPal to our regular LDStorymakers account. The Secretary/Treasurer will account for the scholarship fund.
No funds will be given to scholarship recipients. Rather, they will be issued a voucher that can be applied against the cost of their registration.
The Board of Directors is responsible for the Scholarship Fund, but the direct awarding of the scholarships is the responsibility of the Scholarship Committee as indicated above.